In days of our dad’s doing the garden none of them would dream of placing an artificial turf instead of the real thing. Today with the environmental crisis looming the good looking choice is just that, artificial turf. It saves water and looks awesome. The other bonus is there is a very low maintenance cost involved and it’s easy to do.
Choosing Your Grass
The first decision to be made is your choice of artificial grass. Not every supplier has the same type of synthetic grass available and you would be wise to choose the type that suits your intended use. Most of the companies have different marketing portfolios available to choose from and this can be viewed on their websites, brochures or in their stores. Different functionalities will be available from normal everyday lawn to a putting green so make sure you choose the appropriate design based on your needs and the advice you receive.
Most vendors will have supply and technical support functions for supply and installation. The best option is to get quotes for both and evaluate this in comparison to the cost for a DIY solution in terms of tools, rental of equipment and man hours spent digging and placing the greens. It is recommended to include the rental of a Dingo to ensure the minimum man hours on the job. Excluding this option means hours in the sun digging and sweating.
DIY artificial turf installation
Artificial lawns are created in most cases for DIY installation, this is not as simple as it seems however and below you will find a general set of tips to assist you in the process.
- To start with you need to dig an area in depth of approximately 80-90mm into the surrounding space.
- Insert a 50mm deep level of crushed rock, information on supply can be obtained from your vendor.
- Place the lengths of artificial lawn on the foundation, your vendor will supply you with the consumables and tools to do so.
- Place “deck spikes” around the newly turfed area to keep the perimeter in place and everything looking sharp.
- Use the correctly engineered sand to place a backing surface in place and provide some weight.
- Lastly emplace granulated rubber into the surface to support and help with placement.
Depending on the size of the installation use DIY or if it is a large installation, choose a trusted supplier / installer like Synthatech. The artificial grass will last for years and long after you have forgotten the cost of installation. If you have used correct installation relevant to the size of the project it will be a good looking enduring addition to your home or at the place of use.